Toni Choueiri, MD
Director, Kidney Cancer Center
Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Office phone: 617-632-5456
Preferred contact method: office phone
View Physician Profile
Renal cell carcinoma (kidney), Bladder cancer, Genitourinary tumors
Area of Research
Novel therapies in genitourinary cancers with a focus on kidney cancers
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
450 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
Dr. Toni K. Choueiri is Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and Attending Physician in the Division of Solid Tumor Oncology at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI). He also serves as the co-director of the Tissue Acquisition, Pathology, and Clinical Data Core of the Kidney SPORE at Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center and is the leader of the Kidney Cancer Center at DFCI and Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH). Clinically and academically, Dr. Choueiri's efforts have largely centered on improving the care of patients with renal cell carcinoma (RCC).
Dr. Choueiri's research focuses on clinical trials with aims to improve the treatment of patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma as well as the development of novel agents for this disease. Dr. Choueiri is currently involved in collaborative efforts with basic scientists to analyze clinical, tissue, and serum biomarkers to optimize the administration of targeted therapeutic agents in renal cell carcinoma. In addition, he has also established several collaborations to characterize the side effects and risks of antiangiogenic agents used in RCC using a large scale approach, such as meta-analyses from available published trials or national databases such as the SEER database.
ResearchNovel therapies in genitourinary cancers with a focus on kidney cancers
Dr. Choueiri is interested in the clinical and molecular predictors of outcome to therapies in renal cancers.
- Choueiri TK, Plantade A, Elson P, Negrier S, Ravaud A, Oudard S, Zhou M, Rini BI, Bukowski RM, and Escudier B. Efficacy of Sunitinib and Sorafenib in Metastatic Papillary and Chromophobe Renal Cell Carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(1):127-131.
- Escudier B, Choueiri TK, Oudard S, Szczylik C, Ngrier S, Ravaud A, Chevreau C, Venner P, Champagne P, Croteau D, Dupont E, Hariton C, Bukowski RM. Prognostic Factors of Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma After Failure of Immunotherapy: New Paradigm From a Large Phase III Trial With Shark Cartilage Extract AE 941. J Urol. 2007: pp. 1901-1905.
- Choueiri TK,Tamaskar I, Sercia L, Rini B, Bukowski R, Zhou M. Differential expression of caveolin-1 in renal neoplasms. Cancer. 2007;110(4):776-82.
- Choueiri TK, Garcia JA, Elson P, Khasawneh M, Usman S, Golshayan AR, Baz RC, Wood L, Rini BI, Bukowski RM. Clinical factors associated with outcome in patients with metastatic clear-cell renal cell carcinoma treated with vascular endothelial growth factor-targeted therapy. Cancer. 2007;110(3):543-50
- Choueiri TK, Rini B, Garcia JA, Baz RC, Abou-Jawde RM, Thakkar SG, Elson P, Mekhail TM, Zhou M, Bukowski RM. Prognostic factors associated with long-term survival in previously untreated metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Ann Oncol. 2007;18(2):249-55.
- Choueiri TK, Dreicer R, Rini BI, Elson P, Garcia JA, Thakkar SG, Baz RC, Mekhail TM, Jinks HA, Bukowski RM. Phase II study of lenalidomide in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Cancer. 2006;107(11):2609-16.
- Abou-Jawde RM, Baz R, Walker E, Choueiri TK, Karam MA, Reed J, Faiman B, Hussein M. The role of race, socioeconomic status, and distance traveled on the outcome of African-American patients with multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 2006;9 (10):1410-3.
- Hicks DG, Short SM, Prescott NL, Tarr SM, Coleman KA, Yoder BJ, Crowe JP, Choueiri TK, Dawson AE, Budd GT, Tubbs RR, Casey G, Weil RJ. Breast cancers with brain metastases are more likely to be estrogen receptor negative, express the basal cytokeratin CK5/6, and overexpress HER2 or EGFR. Am J Surg Pathol. 2006;30(9):1097-104.
- Choueiri TK, Mekhail T, Hutson TE, Ganapathi R, Kelly GE, Bukowski RM. Phase I trial of phenoxodiol delivered by continuous intravenous infusion in patients with solid cancer. Ann Oncol. 2006;17(5):860-5.
- Choueiri TK. Axitinib, a novel anti-angiogenic drug with promising activity in various solid tumors. In: Curr Opin Investig Drugs. Thompson Scientific; 2008. p. 658-71.
- Je Y, Schutz FA, Choueiri TK. Risk of bleeding with vascular endothelial growth factor receptor tyrosine-kinase inhibitors sunitinib and sorafenib: a systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials. Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 967-74.
- Heng DY, Choueiri TK. Non-clear cell renal cancer: features and medical management. J Natl Compr Cane Netw. 2009; 7: 659-65.
- Lotan, Y, Choueiri, TK. Clinical presentations, diagnosis, and staging of bladder cancer. In: UpToDate, Basow, DS (Ed), UpToDate, Waltham, MA, 2010.