Toni Choueiri, MD
Director, Kidney Cancer Center
Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Office phone: 617-632-5456
Preferred contact method: office phone
View Physician Profile
Renal cell carcinoma (kidney), Bladder cancer, Genitourinary tumors
Area of Research
Novel therapies in genitourinary cancers with a focus on kidney cancers
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
450 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
Dr. Toni K. Choueiri is a medical oncologist at Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center where he is Director of the Kidney Cancer Center and Clinical Director of the Lank Center for Genitourinary Oncology. Dr. Choueiri has a joint appointment at Harvard Medical School as an Associate Professor of Medicine. He is Co-Leader of the Kidney Cancer Program at Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center and President of the Medical Staff at Dana-Farber. He serves on the NCCN Kidney & Testicular Cancers Panel and is Chairman of the Medical and Scientific Steering Committee of the Kidney Cancer Association.
Dr. Choueiri is interested in developing novel therapies and biomarkers in genitourinary malignancies and renal cell carcinoma. His research focuses on patterns and outcomes of urinary cancers, using a large scale approaches such as meta-analyses from available published trials or national databases such as the SEER database. His work is funded by the American Society of Clinical Oncology, the Harvard Kidney Cancer SPORE and the National Cancer Institute. He has over 300 peer-reviewed publications and is the overall principal investigator of multiple phase I-III trials in genitourinary cancers.
ResearchNovel therapies in genitourinary cancers with a focus on kidney cancers
Dr. Choueiri is interested in the clinical and molecular predictors of outcome to therapies in renal cancers.
- Choueiri TK, Plantade A, Elson P, Negrier S, Ravaud A, Oudard S, Zhou M, Rini BI, Bukowski RM, and Escudier B. Efficacy of Sunitinib and Sorafenib in Metastatic Papillary and Chromophobe Renal Cell Carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(1):127-131.
- Escudier B, Choueiri TK, Oudard S, Szczylik C, Ngrier S, Ravaud A, Chevreau C, Venner P, Champagne P, Croteau D, Dupont E, Hariton C, Bukowski RM. Prognostic Factors of Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma After Failure of Immunotherapy: New Paradigm From a Large Phase III Trial With Shark Cartilage Extract AE 941. J Urol. 2007: pp. 1901-1905.
- Choueiri TK,Tamaskar I, Sercia L, Rini B, Bukowski R, Zhou M. Differential expression of caveolin-1 in renal neoplasms. Cancer. 2007;110(4):776-82.
- Choueiri TK, Garcia JA, Elson P, Khasawneh M, Usman S, Golshayan AR, Baz RC, Wood L, Rini BI, Bukowski RM. Clinical factors associated with outcome in patients with metastatic clear-cell renal cell carcinoma treated with vascular endothelial growth factor-targeted therapy. Cancer. 2007;110(3):543-50
- Choueiri TK, Rini B, Garcia JA, Baz RC, Abou-Jawde RM, Thakkar SG, Elson P, Mekhail TM, Zhou M, Bukowski RM. Prognostic factors associated with long-term survival in previously untreated metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Ann Oncol. 2007;18(2):249-55.
- Choueiri TK, Dreicer R, Rini BI, Elson P, Garcia JA, Thakkar SG, Baz RC, Mekhail TM, Jinks HA, Bukowski RM. Phase II study of lenalidomide in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Cancer. 2006;107(11):2609-16.
- Abou-Jawde RM, Baz R, Walker E, Choueiri TK, Karam MA, Reed J, Faiman B, Hussein M. The role of race, socioeconomic status, and distance traveled on the outcome of African-American patients with multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 2006;9 (10):1410-3.
- Hicks DG, Short SM, Prescott NL, Tarr SM, Coleman KA, Yoder BJ, Crowe JP, Choueiri TK, Dawson AE, Budd GT, Tubbs RR, Casey G, Weil RJ. Breast cancers with brain metastases are more likely to be estrogen receptor negative, express the basal cytokeratin CK5/6, and overexpress HER2 or EGFR. Am J Surg Pathol. 2006;30(9):1097-104.
- Choueiri TK, Mekhail T, Hutson TE, Ganapathi R, Kelly GE, Bukowski RM. Phase I trial of phenoxodiol delivered by continuous intravenous infusion in patients with solid cancer. Ann Oncol. 2006;17(5):860-5.
- Choueiri TK. Axitinib, a novel anti-angiogenic drug with promising activity in various solid tumors. In: Curr Opin Investig Drugs. Thompson Scientific; 2008. p. 658-71.
- Je Y, Schutz FA, Choueiri TK. Risk of bleeding with vascular endothelial growth factor receptor tyrosine-kinase inhibitors sunitinib and sorafenib: a systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials. Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 967-74.
- Heng DY, Choueiri TK. Non-clear cell renal cancer: features and medical management. J Natl Compr Cane Netw. 2009; 7: 659-65.
- Lotan, Y, Choueiri, TK. Clinical presentations, diagnosis, and staging of bladder cancer. In: UpToDate, Basow, DS (Ed), UpToDate, Waltham, MA, 2010.